Friday, June 20, 2014

Without Prejudice

I found this ad for corsets in a 1906 Delineator Magazine.  "It weighs nothing and outweighs prejudice."

That quote stopped me in my tracks, and made me wonder what in the world they were punishing women with now.  Body shaming has been around since Eve ate the apple.  From what I read in the details of the ad, I think it means that no matter how rolypoly/curvaceous/Rubenesque/curvy/fluffy/whatever adjective you want to use, this corset will take care of it.  (Add to the list, of course, skinny/beanpole/whatever thin adjectives you want to add, too.  No prejudice, after all.)

What  find interesting is that this is an ad from 1906.  This was not only time for the S-bend corset, but was also nearing the end of the corset era, period.  The corset shown is a more traditional Victorian, late 1800s one.  Interesting ad, considering that the magazine is one for the newest sewing patterns of that month.  It also shows just how important Paris was, even then, and even in random places such as Cleveland, Ohio.  My (new) husband is from Cleveland.  I can't speak for all of Cleveland, of course, but there is a large population of immigrant families there, and even more so in the early 1900s.  My husband's family came there right around this time, as did his mother's.

I need to do some more research on corset history, to see how the working class women's corset use may have varied from upper class, and how American vs immigrants may have used foundation garments.  But that will have to wait, as I'm doing some very in depth study of Ceil Chapman right now.  So for now, feast on this website, which is a veritable feast of corset history, photos, and trivia.  I may or may not have been known to browse it for long periods of time during work. Don't say you weren't warned.

No comments:

Post a Comment