Friday, June 13, 2014

Darieux

I've been working on expanding the Ceil Chapman Wikipedia page, because it just didn't do justice to her talents.  Don't judge -- it's the first time I've edited in Wikipedia, and the original page was a mess.  It's now a work in progress, but at least it has more than minor details.

While I was reading about her, I came across an interesting article that spoke about her providing dresses for a fashion show in Baton Rouge.  Another designer who was supplying dresses was Robert Darieux, who I had never heard of before.  He's an interesting character.

Apparently, he was born in France, to a family of Colombian diplomats -- doesn't that sound so mysterious -- but was an admirer of American woman, who he designed for.  His love for fashion came from attending social functions around the world, so he decided to become a designer.  He was known for clean lines with intricate details, and superb workmanship.  He also built foundations into his garments, so that bras and corselettes weren't necessary. He had a boutique in New York, and designed for a number of stars (unnamed) as well as well dressed women from the U.S., Europe, and South America.

A quote I found really funny, but a sign of the times:  "I believe that women dress to please the men -- and the men definitely do NOT admire many of the freakish European styles."  The article, written in 1962's Baton Rouge Advocate, made me wonder what in the world was freakish about European styles?  True, by then, Christian Dior had died, Fath was gone, and the love of French fashion was fading -- soon to be replaced by love for British fashion, but to call it "freakish" seems a bit harsh.

In searching, I've thus far only come across this Darieux creation, which apparently has already been sold from the Ruby Lane store where it was listed.


It's very early Betty Draper, isn't it?  It's very pretty but simple, but I'm pretty sure that that collar would drive me nuts.  I will have to be on the hunt for other non-freakish Darieux, moving forward.

Once I'm done with my Ceil Chapman research, that is.

No comments:

Post a Comment