Saturday, May 17, 2014

Pucci, or Not Pucci?

I was watching Mad Men last week (of course), and was taken, like many, by Meghan's dress in the house party scene.  It has widely been said to be a Pucci.

I posed the idea on another blog that unlike what most people have said, that it's not an actual Pucci.  I've looked at numerous screen shots of this dress, and haven't seen the "Emilio" signature that Pucci used to sign his prints.  I finally gave up, thinking I must be missing something, because numerous people have called it an actual Pucci.  But then I found these ads from a McCall's magazine, which are "based on an Italian design":




Because I'm me -- meaning, insanely curious -- I started wondering if these patterns are based on a Pucci design.  I've come to decide that they are.  Yes, Pucci made some patterns for McCall's later in the 50s, but the ones shown are earlier. Perhaps McCall's couldn't make a deal with him yet.  Perhaps they didn't realize the scope of his popularity till Sophia and Marilyn started wearing him.  In either event, I'm pretty sure that these patterns are based on Pucci designs.  I could be wrong, of course, but I'm going with it.

Which gets us back to Meghan's dress.  Again, I'm pretty sure it's NOT Pucci.  I don't see a signature on it, AND the AMC site, calls it a "Pucci-like" dress.  I'm thinking that if they actually put her in a real, vintage Pucci, they'd call it one.  And if they did, the vintage world should be upset, because a true vintage Pucci should be in a museum, or at the very least, not handled without gloves, much less worn on a hot film set.  So now  I can sleep, not worried about the fate of a Pucci.

And by the way, did you know that Emilio Pucci created capri pants?  He was, of course, from the isle of  Capri.  He was known for designing comfortable clothes.  His dresses were usually constructed of silk jersey -- Diana Vreeland said it was like wearing nothing at all.  So should we be surprised that he would create capri pants, which are perfect for beach and resort wear?  I think not.

I'll leave you with a photo of Marilyn, in Pucci.  Only she could rock a plain orang top like this, and make it so sexy.  That is, of course, thanks to the construction, good foundation garments, and that Marilyn mystique.  

And here is her favorite chartreuse Pucci dress.  She was later buried in it.



No comments:

Post a Comment