Monday, January 6, 2014

Slipper Loveliness

I always have slippers on my feet.  My daughter bought me some comfy socks last year for Christmas, but it's slippers for me.  Usually I wear my boyfriend's manly slipons when I want to be comfy, but my mom got me some red sequined slippers this year, complete with a bow on the vamp.  All I have to do is click my heels and say "there's no place like home."

Vintage patterns for slippers are more unusual finds, so I was surprised when I came across this one.  I will say, I have handled thousands of patterns over the years, and never before have I ever seen one like this:

Personally, I think it's amazing.  I posted it on the Vintage Fashion Library facebook page, and the question was posed "where do you get the materials to make something like this?"  The answer was rather interesting.  The heels could be made from pre-fashioned cork insoles, which apparently could be bought back in the day.  They could also be made from a 12" x 16" cork placemat.  Interesting.  The sides and heels are constructed from layers of 1/16" cardboard.  I guess it's not something you'd want to get wet, but then again, they're slippers, so you wouldn't wear them out of the house, I guess.

I'm sure that nowadays you could find suitable materials that might work even better, given the vast array of plastics, neoprene, and everything else that is available out there, but with my feet, I suspect I couldn't wear them.  I have feet that are almost a complete half size different from each other, plus I can't wear flats or my back screams for mercy.  Even so, they could be worked into a costume of some sort, I'm sure.  Isn't it a great pattern?  Available here.

2 comments:

  1. Design manufacturing as it relates to clothing has actually come a very long way. Usually, the phrase symbolizes the growth of various kinds of clothing elements, clothing, and elements. Several aspects have always impacted the growth process. Over the years, several kinds of benefit clothing have actually been designed. Many of them have public and traditional undertones. In the the past, people made use of local elements like animal skin and fur in producing the clothing they put on. Different kinds of clothing designs were also designed through such local means.
    vintage fashion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Some modern shoes are still made with cork insoles. It's more usual (I think) than the earlier practice of filling the insole area with a cork... paste (not sure what it's actually called). It's simply for cushioning the foot.

    ReplyDelete