Sunday, November 11, 2012

Semper Fi, This We'll Defend, Honor, Courage, Commitment, and Semper Paratus

It is Veteran's Day today.  This is the day we honor the 10% of Americans who signed a check, payable with their life, for the defense of our country and the people who live here.  This includes my grandfather, great grandfather, and great great grandfather, all of whom graduated from West Point. It includes my great uncle Bruce, who died at West Point from the flu.  He was 19. It includes my Uncle Will, who died in WWII, only a month before V-E Day, also at the age of 19, leaving a whole in his family's heart that never has healed.  It also includes my dad, who had an appointment to West Point, couldn't pass the eye exam, and instead, memorized the eye chart and went into the Air Force.  It includes his brother, my Uncle Roger, an Army vet, my own brother, a Navy vet, his son, who is not only an Army vet, but who served in Iraq AND Afghanistan, and who received a Purple Heart.  I am in awe of him.  And yes, it includes my boo, who served as a Marine for 33 years, including Desert Storm.

No matter your feeling about war, or our involvement in international arenas, we will forever owe a debt to those who are willing to sacrifice themselves so that we can be safe, and I hope that you think of them not only today, but every time you see the flag that they so proudly defend.

I salute you.

No comments:

Post a Comment