Monday, January 24, 2011

The 1930s in film (then)


The Oscar nominations are going to be announced tomorrow, so I thought we'd spend some time talking about movies. By the way, Colin Firth WILL win the Oscar this year, and you should see The King's Speech. Immediately. And Helena Bonham Carter plays the Queen Mother, and has wonderful clothes, of course. But I digress.

I was thinking about movies that are representative of their era, fashion-wise, and wanted to start with Vogues of 1938. This is not a well known movie. It's not even that great, but it does show up on TCM from time to time, and the clothing is to die for. There are multiple fashion shows in it, including a bridal show. You can watch it with the TV on mute and still enjoy every minute of it. I think I've even done that, to be honest. It's a beautiful movie.

Tomorrow, my favorite modern renditions of the 1930s.

1 comment: