Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Then and now


I love it when the fashion gods converge and hand us a gift. Offered here: a vintage 1956 Pat Premo ad, featuring the amazing Suzy Parker. Absolutely gorgeous rendition of 1956 fashion, yes? Pat Premo dresses are always cute, and rather overlooked today. I've never seen a Pat Premo dress that I didn't love. Suzy Parker is just the icing on the cake in the ad for me, since she's second only to Dovima in my book, so this ad is like the perfect storm.

Then take a look at this: the same dress, featured on Etsy, by my friend Julie of Damn Good Vintage, minus Suzy Parker, but no less drop dead sexy, yes? And Julie's right, Pat Premo loved horizontal stripes. Can you imagine this making it to market today, in a time when everyone is so afraid of them? She was one brave woman!

Don't you love it when this kind of thing happens? It's like years past meeting today, and showing us how fashion can be so indicative of the time in which it's made, but at the same time how vintage clothing is still relevant today.

The pairing just makes me smile.

2 comments:

  1. I really am so in love with that there photo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If only I had $225 for that dress! I love that fabric and the print. Wow.

    ReplyDelete