Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Things of beauty


If you don't like 1950's frothy gorgeous-ness, then tune out now, because I just came across a Modern Bride magazine from 1956, and I'm fairly obsessed with it. I'll probably be posting some madly beautiful beauties in the next few posts, unless something else grabs my interest.

LOVE this Emma Domb, though I'm not sure about that bow. The bodice seaming is beautiful though. Emma Domb was started in the late 30s with the Party Lines label. Though I've seen a couple in that period that I liked, it's the 50s ones that I love the most.

The style on the left is designed for bridesmaids, mother of the bride, and "ever after" occasions, and was available in Pink, Powder, Aqua, Gold, Mint and White. I'm presuming Powder means blue? Imagine this: it retailed for $35.

The style on the right, with love knot bow, was available for $45, in White, Rose Petal, Delft Blue, Spring Green, Jonquil Yellow, Red with White and Black with Pink, with matching tulle stole. I'd like to see that last colorway to see how it works. What do you think?

2 comments:

  1. OH YOU HAVE STUMBLED UPON A GOLD MINE!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know how I feel about bows up front, as it kinda suggests the wearer might be doing the walk of shame or is slightly crazy enough to put a gown on backwards.
    That being said, the dress is quite lovely and I've seen several new dresses recently that are reviving this "front bow" trend.

    ReplyDelete