Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Ponchos don't have to be fugly




Plaid version: "A washable lightweight wool cut in a cape shape and worn asymmetrically for flair. Buttons and edges are crocheted, with red yarn woven through the stitches along the inner edge." Green version: "low, sloping, the old look of a dolman sleeve. Like the others, this coat is reversible (marvelous design for double faced fabrics). A loop catches the sides under the arms." The red version: "The easiest one of all - just a rectangle split up the center. Wear it as casually as they do in Latin America (it's called a ruana there) or button it at the wrists for walking or driving." Blue version: "The only coat the requires any sewing, and that's minimal (to secure the self fringe, make the belt, and if desired, put in pleats). Outline stitch covers fringe's machine stitch.




From Woman's Day, 1972

3 comments:

  1. I had a poncho in the 70's - my Mom crocheted it for me. It was royal blue with white and yellow chevron stripes. (UGH)

    I like how the chick in the bottom photo has Princess Leia hair, before Star Wars came out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Would love to have the instructions, how do I email you?

    rhonda
    scottrho@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. My email is Lisa@vintagefashionlibrary.com. Just email me your address, and I'll pop them in the mail to you.

    ReplyDelete