Thursday, March 4, 2010

Treasure found.



I came across this the other day, and am still pretty excited about it. I was reading about Jacqueline Kennedy's style, which was created primarily as a careful collaboration between her and Oleg Cassini. They wanted her to be a trend-setter, with every style she wore being fresh, and something never seen on anyone else first. The result was a style that is still instantly recognizable as Jackie.

Next, look at this pattern, which is McCall's 8332, from 1968, and is totally hot. I have a soft spot for bows anyway, but a cutout back? Love it. And the McCall's patterns from this particular time period have always been particularly attractive to me, and a lot of other people, because they are so glam. Then I realized why.


Look:




Same dress. Created by Oleg Cassini, and worn by none other than Jacqueline Kennedy.

I love it when I find a connection between a pattern and an ad, or a catalog, but this is the kind of thing that makes me do the happy dance. The only question is why the dress was being worn during the pre-1964 years of Camelot, and the dress pattern wasn't published till 1968.

Ideas?

(Click the photo to see the larger image)

4 comments:

  1. What a great find!! It is a lovely dress!

    ReplyDelete
  2. She really rocked! She will forever be a style icon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Perhaps Oleg Cassini had some kind of exclusive RTW license on the design for a few years? Just a guess, I have no evidence.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is for sure a "hot look" I'm with Jooli a great example of a style icon.

    ReplyDelete