Monday, February 8, 2010

The Sweater Girl


I love sweaters. I was wearing a sweater the night I met my husband. It's now safely esconced on a shelf in my closet, in all its polyester glory. It's a crew neck sweater with a pattern of pink hearts on it, which is pure me.

Sweaters have been making an upswing of late, since our lovely first lady favors them so much. She even wore one during the inaugaration parade, and for good reason: cardigans help you create the layers that will keep you warm in the chilly winter temperatures, but you can peel it off if you get too warm. Granted, the J. Crew designs of today don't match the awesomeness of the earlier stuff, but I'll take 'em anyway.

The sweater girl trend started in the 40s, with Lana Turner, who wore a tight blue sweater in "They Won't Forget," cementing that fact in history. Jane Russell joined the bandwagon, and the sweater girl was born. One could ask, which came first, the bullet bra or the sweater girl, but it's likely that the sweater girl was the muse for the developers of that classic lingerie, especially since those girls were a huge part of lingerie modelling at that time. The sweaters could be plain and solid color, or intricately beaded, like this one from Fast Eddies Retro Rags. You could even knit or crochet your favorite pattern, like this one:



Great, isn't it? It's from 1938, which makes it a little early for the sweater girl trend, but the pics are spot on. I love the pattern, too, because it is not only reminiscent of Adrian, but it also will create a bustline and a waist if you don't have one.

And a little fact to note: did you know that Garbo left films because they wanted to turn her into a sweater girl? Can you imagine the goddess in a sweater? As you know, there's nothing wrong with a sweater, but some things are just sacrilege. This turned into a domino affect when Adrian also left Hollywood. As he said, " When the glamour ends for Garbo, it also ends for me. She has created a type. If you destroy that illusion, you destroy her.' When Garbo walked out of the studio, glamour went with her, and so did I."

2 comments:

  1. I love embroidered and beaded cardigans from the 50s and I'm on a mission to have a huge collection of them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am loving this beautiful beaded embroidered, beaded sweater. What a gorgeous design and the colors are devine!

    ReplyDelete