Sunday, February 21, 2010

One from the maestro



Balenciaga was just a straight up genius. If it hadn't been for the Spanish civil war, he might have stayed safely ensconced in Spain for his whole life. Instead, he ended up in Paris, where, during World War II, women would risk their lives to travel just to see his line.

Balenciaga was a lover of sleeves, which makes this dress so interesting to me. This dress could easily be worn down a red carpet today but most likely minus, alas, the beautiful opera length gloves. And I'm not sure how many other colors this dress would work in. Blue, maybe? I think it's just flat out genius.

Not bad, considering that Balenciaga took some of the best known designers of the 60s under his wing: Courreges, Givenchy, and Oscar de la Renta. What I'd give...........

From his 1955 collection. Photo from Life Magazine, September 5, 1955.

2 comments:

  1. That's beautiful! I love Balenciaga dresses!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I love it!
    But then I did alway like Balenciaga, and bare shoulders.
    I must keep it in my inspiration-folder... thank you!

    ReplyDelete