Thursday, January 21, 2010

Wherein I become a minor internet celebrity


Well, not exactly, but I had to say that, because my oldest told me a couple of years ago that he was a minor internet celebrity. Of course, it came to pass that I found out it was true, and not for bad reasons, so I guess I can't complain. I've been trying to catch up with him ever since, he'd say, and maybe now the day has come: I won a little award!

The lovely Nancy at Waiter Waiter Percolator has bestowed upon me the Kreativ Blogger award, along with a wonderful commentary about The Vintage Fashion Librarian. I guess now I have something to live up to, don't I? Thanks, Nancy, and what a great blog title you have!

And so it is, in keeping to the spirit of the award, that I sow what I've reaped.

Here are the Kreativ Blogger Award rules:
  1. Copy/paste the Kreativ Blogger Award picture onto your blog
  2. Thank the person who awarded it to you and post a link to her/his blog
  3. Write 7 things about yourself we might not know
  4. Choose 7 other bloggers to award
  5. Link to them
  6. Notify your 7 bloggers of their award
Seven Things You May Not Know About Me:

1. I come from a long line of writers, so writing is not optional for me. It's genetic. My crowning achievement was having a letter published in Ann Landers' column, in response to a grandfather's complaint at not having free reign to film anything he wanted, in his daughter's delivery room. No one thought it would be printed, but it was.
2. I'm a nurse in "real life," hence the Ann Landers rant. I've worked in ICU, Special Care Nursery, and for ten years in phone triage, answering medical questions coming in from people who are not afraid to ask anything. ANYTHING.
3. I homeschooled my three kids for twelve years, and lived to tell the tale. 'Nuff said?
4. My husband and I had to change the location and time of our wedding the night before it took place. We feared the need to cancel our honeymoon when our passports were lost in the mail two weeks before the wedding. Needless to say, we kiss our rings frequently.
5. I've lived in the same house for sixteen years -- longer than anyone in my family has ever lived in one place, and only a few blocks from the hospital where my husband was born. I'll likely never move, but I love my 1930's house with the round door, so it's all good.
6. I love the color red. When we pulled out our winter clothing this year, I realized that about 80% of my clothing is some shade of red. I promptly went out and bought a red wool coat. Even my hair is red.
7. I sell patterns. I have thousands. And I don't sew. I did do a lot of needlework and handwork before tendonitis took over. I made baby quilts for most of my nieces and nephews, a wedding sampler for my husband's best friend, a grandmother's sampler for hubby's grandma (complete with proper hair color, Purdue and IU hats, and our dog), and stockings for our kids. But I do not sew.

My 7 Kreativ Bloggers Nominees:
1. Real-Vintage, by my girl Ang, of Dorothea's Closet. She has the most fabulous vintage, and shows how it can work without becoming too costumey. She's the bomb!
2. What-I-Found. Tina is an interesting friend 'o mine. A retired nurse, she and her hubby hit the road, literally, and travel the country in their RV. She rolls down the road, selling patterns as she goes. And her blog is a wonderful montage of vintage ads and photos. It's a quick dose of vintage every day.
3.
Vintage Goddess -- Julie is a sharp mix of vintage style and today's opinion. She ain't afraid to say it like it is, but she's gonna look good doing it.
4. The Mysterious Life of the Metropolitan Housewife I want to be her. Period.
5. Veronica Darling
-- there's not way that I can't love someone who has such wonderful taste in vintage sewing patterns.
6. Gertie's New Blog for Better Sewing -- I love her practical explanations, and her recommendations (I really WANTED to win that MAC Lipstick, Gertie!). Her trip through Vogue's Sewing Book is a great read. Her current vintage undergarment obsession is something to ponder.
7. Wearing History -- She is who I would be, if I sewed. I can't wait to see her completed Regency Ball Gown. I am in awe of her 1) skills and 2) taste. She's awesome.

I bow to your greatness, ladies. I can only aspire to write half as interesting as you!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the award - I'm honored! Red is my favorite color too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your nominees! And I can relate to kissing your wedding rings; we had to postpone our wedding for a whole YEAR after I had started engaging wedding vendors...luckily they all made it easy on us. But I thought we would NEVER get married!

    ReplyDelete