Thursday, January 14, 2010

Walk Away Walk Away.......I Will Follow

I feel like a broken record when I talk about this pattern, because so much has been written about it, but there is a method to my madness. You'll find out tomorrow what I'm talking about.

This is the so called Walkaway dress was Butterick 6015 which was the best selling pattern in history. At one point, Butterick shut down production on all other patterns, just to keep up with the manufacture of it. It was supposed to be easy enough to sew in the morning, and walk away in in the afternoon. With as many as were sold, it's amazing that it's a bit difficult to find the original pattern nowadays. Butterick reissued it as part of their Retro line a few years ago, so if you don't get sassy and scream that you need the original, you can not only have it, but have it in sizes for today's curvier girls.

I've always wondered if the Walkaway owed some of its popularity to Claire McCardell, as I see her vibe here. There's just something that rings true here -- the simplicity of the Popover dress, and Ms. McCardell's sporty but chic vibe.

The problem is that the Walkaway isn't always as friendly to wear, with many people saying that the armholes aren't cut correctly, that it hangs wrong in back, that the bodice bunches up, and any number of other complaints. It'll take modifications to make it work. You can't really wear a crinoline under it either, because of the construction, and it's a casual dress, but would require proper foundations to get the silhouette right. That's a lotta work on a dress that's supposed to be easy! Adorable dress, but I've heard so much about it that I don't know that I'd make it either. How do you fix it? I'll show you tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. I've been working on this very same dress! I'll be looking forward to seeing what you did since I'm not sewing mine up til it gets warmer here -- my #1 tip so far is to use the original or one of it's reissues, not the current version which is actually a total redesign. I still don't know why they redesigned something that worked fine and I'm hoping you have more info than I do!!

    ReplyDelete