Thursday, January 28, 2010

A hidden icon in a swimsuit


Yesterday's not-Morgan-Fairchild photo sent me on a quest, looking for other photos of that model, to see who she was. And who did I come across, but Lauren Hutton, in a babe-a-licious daisy bikini. Of course, you can't see her gap toothed trademark, but it's her, nonetheless. And the more I got reading about her, the more I found I love her.

She started out as Mary Laurence Hutton, working as a Playboy bunny. Remember the 60s? What were the common names? Linda, Debbie, and Mary were, which meant that there were so many Mary Playboy bunnies, she was told to choose another name, so she chose part of her middle name, inspired by Ms. Bacall, she chose Lauren. It was just a hop from Playboy's bunny costume to a floral bikini in 1967.

Lauren made the cover of Vogue 25 times, and is still working now, with her most recent appearance as a judge on Project Runway. I never realized that she was the original "Charlie" perfume girl, either. Not bad for a 5'6 1/2" girl from Charleston with a gap toothed smile.

But I think it's her idea about aging that I like the best. In these days of Botox and Nip/Tuck, many women are terrified of showing their age, much less getting older, period. But Ms. Hutton says "We have to be able to grow up. Our wrinkles are our medals of the passage of life. They are what we have been through and who we want to be. I don't think I will ever cut my face, because once I cut it, I'll never know where I've been."

I just love that.

No comments:

Post a Comment