Friday, January 15, 2010

Gotta Whole Lotta Dress


What challenges the Walkaway dress pattern created, this one solves. There's a whole lotta dress going on here, as well as a pattern conundrum that I wish someone could explain.

The Walkaway dress is a casual dress that is just adorable, as well as being easy to make. It has some issues with fit, and can be very frustratingly misleading -- it's easy to make, not as easy to wear. But look at this one. It's not just a casual dress -- it offers a more glam one shoulder sex-bomb option, as well as the more casual shoulder tie sundress option (gotta love that contrasting bodice in Style A). And then look at that housewife on crack Style C. Can't figure out what that's really supposed to be, but I think it's a hint of glamour, with a skirt you can dry dishes with.

I think that the way this bodice is constructed means that it would hang better, as well as being more flattering. And that's not just your typical Wilma one shoulder dress -- it's got as much interest going on in the skirt as it does in the bodice, so it's not just screaming HEY LOOK AT ME, I HAVE A BARE SHOULDER. It's more whispering it, with a wink. It's kind of the perfect balance of the early 50s one shoulder craze meeting the circle skirt of the late 50s. Fabulous, yes?

This pattern came out in 1953, the year after the Walkaway, and I can see some of the influence here. Sure, it's not as easy a pattern as the Walkaway, but it's definitely got more options, while still keeping the vibe. The one thing I'd like someone to 'splain to me is why it's numbered 9393A. What is that A about? I don't think I've ever seen a pattern of this era with a letter in it, so I'm not sure if this is a limited edition of some kind, or why it's not just plain ole 9393. Want to 'splain that to me? And make me a copy of Style A, in red and white, please.

Click the image or here to purchase.

6 comments:

  1. I would love to get my hands on this one! But I guess I'll just have to draft the pattern myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, this is a knockout! I'm not sure about the picnic table cloth version....

    Lisa, I've been enjoying your blog quite a bit. Leizel over at Crafty As Hell just nominated me for a Kreative Blogger Award, and I'm passing one on to you! If you want to participate, just go to http://coldspringsstudio.blogspot.com/2010/01/and-kreativ-blogger-award-goes-to.html for details!

    Cheers!
    Nancy

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feeel like a broken record when I talk about this pattern, because so much has been written about it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like your bit about view C. It is highly perplexing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A means it was given out as a promotion. It wasn't for sell.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A means it was given out as a promotion. It wasn't for sell.

    ReplyDelete