Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Ding Dong Sleeves


Well this post is going to be all over the place, so put your seat belts on -- you've been warned.

Whilst looking for something interesting to chat about, my eye fell on this near circus-like shot, from a 1967 Simplicity pattern catalog. The colors and prints from the late 1960s are like no other, and probably will never be repeated, because nothing brings on a good print like the hallucinogens so common in the period. I mean seriously -- look at all of the colors here. The one on the left is pure Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds, but what really caught my eye was the bell sleeve top at the bottom.

I love how this top photographed: the perfectly match patterns really sell it, but those sleeves are so cool. They would work for anyone, because the heroin chic models of today could cover up their scary stick-arms, and those of us who don't like showing our arms would be right at home. The swoop of color across the bust could help out a smaller bustline too, so this top works on a variety of levels. Of course, the photo is kind of killed for me by the random pointed toe on the bottom right. It belongs to bell sleeve girl, but it's poking out from caftan girl like she just landed on the Wicked Witch of the West.

The more I looked at the bell sleeve top, the more I wondered, "who does this model remind me of?" It finally came to me. She reminds me of Morgan Fairchild, the blonde vixen of the 70s and 80s, and Chandler Bing's mom from Friends. I kept staring at her, thinking that maybe it was her, but not being able to envision her as a brunette. Thinking of Morgan Fairchild brought me back to her days on Search For Tomorrow, which my mom watched (among several others) back in the day. Sadly, soaps are going out of style nowadays, but they sure do evoke memories for those of us whose moms sat glued to the TV for an hour or two at a time. The ladies of our moms' "stories" were always perfectly coiffed, impeccably dressed, and impossibly beautiful. I seriously thought that Morgan Fairchild was close to 6 feet tall, and was shocked when I found out she was a mere 5 foot 4 inches. These women were mysterious and perfect, even if they were horrible characters on the show, and it's still fun for me to spot someone from the soaps on a TV commercial today. This is probably why the model fascinated me almost as much as those bell sleeves.

It took me a while to decide that, regardless of her Cleopatra wannabe phase, I don't think this is Miss Fairchild, as I found another photo of, I believe, this model on another page of the magazine, and she definitely does not resemble her in that one. But tomorrow, I will show you who I did find. I think.

2 comments:

  1. awesome post. those sleeves are great

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see the Morgan Fairchild resemblence too. I wouldn't be surpised if she did do some modeling back in the day. I love the halter dress-would make a great cover up or after the beach lunch dress.

    ReplyDelete