Monday, December 14, 2009

Losing my Head

There's a tradition in our house: we are hardcore Oscars watchers. Hubby tries to see every movie that's nominated, as well as the roles that were nominated in the major roles. I just like to look at the clothes, of course. (Drives hubby nuts that I tend to guess the winners of the awards pretty accurately, when I don't even watch the movies, but I digress.)

This is one of my all time favorite Oscars dresses, made by Edith Head for none other that Grace Kelly herself, back in 1955. Everything about it is perfect: the color, the draping, the coat....everything. I do wish that I could find a picture of the coat in color though, and what the lining looked like.

No worries though. It's beautiful nonetheless. Even though every time I see a picture of Edith Head, it makes me giggle, thinking of Edna in The Incredibles - a role which was inpired by her. How could you not love someone who bluffed their way into a job that they held for thirty years, and that allowed her to create iconic garments like this one, as well as Audrey Hepburn's iconic Sabrina dress?

Answer? It's just not possible not to love her.




1 comment:

  1. I agree! I have been performing a play based on her, A CONVERSATION WITH EDITH HEAD. It is a privilege to keep her legacy alive!
    Best,
    Suz
    http://www.edithhead.biz

    ReplyDelete