Thursday, November 19, 2009

It's all in the details


This is what's missing from today's fashions: the little details. Look at this illustration. If you look at the dress itself, the details make all the difference.

The little notched neckline, as annoying as I think it would be to wear, is the perfect answer to the "I don't want to wear a necklace" days. Though I'm not a huge fan of topstitching, it does give the chocolate dress a different look. And the belts! Look at the difference a belt can make.

This is a good example of how, in post-WWII 1946, they were still in a rationing mindset, and embellishing not with the yards and yards of fabric that Christian Dior would introduce a year later.

The proper lady on the left wears her gloves, which makes me wonder why little lady on the right doesn't? I don't know that there was a statute of limitations on age, when it came to gloves, so I'm surprised that little lady isn't wearing them too. The hair embellishment on right is cute (I'm a sucker for daisies), but that hat on the left is to die for. Must. Have. It. Now.

Not sure what kind of shoes they are wearing, so you tell me.

Pattern from Sew-Retro

No comments:

Post a Comment