Monday, November 2, 2009

Awesome


I love this photo. Every time I see it (in the Simplicity pattern catalog, Fall/Winter 1969-1970, from my personal collection), it stops me in my tracks.

First of all, the set is perfect. The lighting is fabulous. I love both dresses, especially that silver A Line on the right. It embodies every style I love: empire waist, standup collar, and the colors they chose are pure me. Put its sweetness next to the bad-girl-wanna-be of the black dress, and it's catalog photography at its best.

But the thing that I find most interesting is that this photo is probably a bit groundbreaking. Here, five years before Beverly Johnson made the cover of Vogue, an African American model is featured. She's included in several photos of this spread, and that is something that was rarely seen in this era. I wish I knew who she was. I can imagine her pointing it out to her grandchildren, and not just for how awesome the concept is, but for how great she looks.

I want her shoes, too.

5 comments:

  1. Yeah, I noticed those silver shoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would wear the silver right now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Regarding the social politics of the time...I'm sure we all have noticed the lack of diversity on the pattern envelopes prior to the early 1970s. In fact, finding pattern envelopes featuring women of color is one of the focus points of my pattern collection. Glad you pointed this out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Any ideas where I might locate the pattern (he model with the silver shoes)??? Would love to locate this old pattern

    ReplyDelete
  5. Are you certain this is Simplicity? I think it might be a McCall's pattern.

    ReplyDelete