Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Deb-wear



Do people have coming out parties anymore? I think that they do, but it's been a while since I've seen anything in the paper here, regarding debutantes.

I know that the Mexican population has quinceaneras, and they are a huge, huge deal. Whatever happened to our debs? Was it really a goody two shoes thing? Maybe it morphed into prom somehow, but I have to admit, the photos of debs from years past are a pretty thing to behold.
Take this beauty, from 1950. I must say that I'm surprised that she's not wearing gloves, but maybe this was a pre-game shot, and the gloves came on later. I dearly love the dress though.

Sadly, I have no idea who the designer is, but isn't it beautiful with the lighting in the photo? Dreamy....

2 comments:

  1. You're right, in mexico we have the quinceaƱeras, and it suppose to be the "big event" in our lives, well I didn't have a 15th party =( , and you know? some women do it when they become 30 !
    This dress is lovely, fashion always is taking something from other ages, like this one looks very similar to those from the 70's.
    By the way, nice background =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. found your blog as I am researching fashions from the late 40's and 1950 for a YA book I am writing. Takes place in Charlotte, 1950. Great pictures. ANy southern dresses from that time period? Trying to figure out what older women wore too. Thanks. If you have time and info, email me at cbaldwin6@carolina.rr.com.

    ReplyDelete