Monday, September 7, 2009

Dovima and the Elephants


Dovima was an icon in modelling in the golden era of couture. Her photo, taken by Richard Avedon, of her posing in a Christian Dior dress, accompanied by circus elephants, is truly an icon of photography, despite the fact that Avedon was not satisfied with the placement of the sash. The juxtaposition of power and femininity is truly breathtaking, as is the model herself.

Dovima was a supermodel before the term was coined. Her modelling name was taking from her three first names: Dorothy Virginia Margaret. This got me thinking of what my modelling name would be. With my maiden name, it would be Lijomi, which has a wonderful ring to it. My married name would make it Lijout, which I would pronouce Li-joo, and people would promptly butcher. Nonetheless, either would be cool and mysterious. What would your modelling name be, if you followed that same formula?

10 comments:

  1. Lilara, in my teens; Lilawi now. Both are way more exotic than I'll ever be... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always loved that photo! My modelling name, not so much...it would be Saeldy, which is at once exotic and lunch-room lady.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kanofi. Sounds like a Hawaiian stereo maker or a candy bar with no fiber. :) (Just found your blog and love it!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Likibiach sounds kind of naughty, but it's what it is! I love that photo - it has always been one of my favorites! Nothing like mid century fashion photography!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bueno, sería Licama ..... si uso mi nombre corto, si puedo usar mi nombre completo sería Anelca ..... supongo que la segunda suena como nombre alemán, ¿no crees?
    Ah, y ella es Georgous! por la forma en que el ama de casa Glamourous acabo de escribir algo sobre Dovima en su blog, check it out! http://talesofaretromodernhousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well, it would be Licama...if I use my short name, but if I use my complete name it would be Anelca....I guess the second name sounds like a german name, right?
    She is georgous! by the way, The Glamourous Housewife just wrote something in her blog, check it out!
    http://talesofaretromodernhousewife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that photo but I'd hate to think that her dress or shoes got any elephant poop on them!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, Ellika! I like it. Love that photo too, I've downloaded it from somewhere before... wonder what mr Avedon would have wanted to change about the sash!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Just found your blog and I love it! My modeling name would be horrible if I used those rules, Limawi.

    ReplyDelete
  10. ewww my name would be "Famamu" lol

    ReplyDelete